HOW DO SPIKY BALLS WORK?
Spiky Massage Balls are sometimes described as evil little torture devices. They have become a popular tool for performing self-therapy on many muscle-related conditions and are a convenient way to maximise muscle recovery for many athletes. But just how do Spiky Balls manage to perform their magic?
- Spiky Balls work on the myo-fascial system to reduce muscle tension, improve blood flow, increase body awareness and aid in injury prevention and rehabilitation.
- By targeting trigger points, Spiky Balls can reduce pain levels and improve range of motion through specific muscles and subsequently improve joint motion.
The myo-fascial system refers to the muscle itself as well as its fascia – the thin sheath that wraps around and connects the muscles, bones, nerves and blood vessels.
HOW TO USE YOUR SPIKY BALL
- You can simply sit or lay on your Spiky Massage Ball and you use your body weight to apply pressure to a tight muscle.
- By using pressure and specific movements you can encourage the Spiky Ball to really target those deep trouble-spots and also encourage your muscles to relax.
- DO NOT USE your Spiky Ball if you have a recent injury or trauma which has broken the skin, caused inflammation of a joint, or if you are badly bruised – if in doubt ask your practitioner.
COMMON SPIKY BALL EXERCISES
Standing with your Spiky Ball between your upper back muscles and a wall, use your body weight to roll over the ball applying pressure to any areas which feel tight.
If you would like to speak to one of our other practitioners about incorporating the Spiky Ball in to your exercise or recovery routine, please feel free to ask a question, contact us on (03) 5254 2668 or book online to schedule your appointment today!